IETF 79 - Frequently Asked Questions

What type of Visa do I need?

There are two primary types of visas: business (F) and tourist (L). The application requirements for each are detailed here, but the main difference is that you do not require a formal letter of invitation from a Chinese organization to obtain a tourist visa.  However, a tourist visa is appropriate only if you intend to spend any time either before or after the meeting sightseeing in China. If that is the case, the tourist visa is considered easier to obtain and is therefore recommended.

For more detailed information about visas, please see the IETF 79 Visa Information page.

What is the inviter/contact information that is needed on the visa application?

The visa application requires contact information for the inviter to China.  The inviter/contact information is below.

Note: This information should not be used to request a host letter of invitation directly. You must register for the meeting before you can request a letter of invitation, and once you register the system will give you the opportunity to request a LOI.

Name of Inviter in China: Jie An
Phone Number of Contact in China:
office: +86 10 62784255
mobile: +86 138 1099 2280
Address of Inviter/Contact in China:
Room 3-221, FIT Building
Tsinghua University
Beijing 100084, China
Email address of Contact:

I'm going to apply for the business (F) visa. What sort of Letter of Invitation do I need?

If you intend to apply for the business (F) visa, you will need a letter of invitation from Tsinguha University, the host for IETF 79. The standard IETF letter of invitation will not be useful for the visa application. However, we will be providing IETF letters of invitation to anyone who may want one for purposes of getting internal company approval to attend, or the like.

Why do I need an entire blank page in my passport?

China visas are affixed in your passport on the pages specifically marked for them, and countries require that visa stamps be placed on those pages that do not contain any other stamps.

Single Entry, Double Entry, Multiple Entry Visas

A single entry is what most meeting attendees will need: it gives you a single entry into China, which means the visa is canceled as soon as the holder leaves the country.

Double entry visa means you can enter into mainland China twice within 90 days.

A Multiple entry visa (Business or F class only) is good for 6 months from date of issuance. And from the date of your entrance, you can stay in China for 30 days at a time (the duration period is written in the visa label).