Please read RFC 5434 for guidelines on how to best form successful new efforts at the IETF.
As of March 1993 IESG adopted the following policy on the scheduling of
BOFs during IETF meetings:
- All BOFs wishing to meet during an IETF meeting must have the approval
of the appropriate Area Director. A list of current Area Directors can be found on the IETF Web site here.
The Secretariat will NOT schedule or allocate time slots without the
explicit approval of the Area Director. Please send a courtesy copy
of your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask the Area Director to copy
this address on the decision.
NOTE: ALL requests for BOFs must be accompanied by BOF Description and
Agenda, and the relevant Area Directors must be copied. The
Secretariat should ONLY schedule complete requests (pending AD
- The purpose of a BOF is to conduct a single, brief discussion or to ascertain interest and establish goals for a working group. All BOF
organizers are required to submit a brief written report of what
transpired during the BOF meeting, together with a roster of
attendees, to the IETF Secretariat for inclusion in the proceedings.
- A BOF can only be held once (ONE slot at one IETF meeting).
- Under unusual circumstances an Area Director can allow a BOF to meet for a second time. Typically, though not a requirement, this is to
develop a charter to be submitted to the IESG.
- BOFs are not permitted to meet three times.
- Non-IETF groups wishing to participate in IETF meetings may hold a
BOF for single-event discussion, or may pursue creation of normal IETF working groups for on-going interactions and disussions. The
rules governing such BOFs are the same as for all other IETF BOFs
and working groups.
- When necessary, working groups will be given priority for meeting
space over BOFs.
- Once scheduled, BOFs are handled like working groups with regard to
the meeting and proceedings. We require minutes and an attendee roster
for the proceedings.
- BOF chairs are asked to send a brief announcement of the BOF to the
NOTE: NOTHING is automatic, especially obtaining a meeting slot for a
BOF. Creation of a draft charter or description and demonstration
of interest does NOT mean a BOF will be held. It is up to the
APPROPRIATE Area Director to approve.
BOF Sessions Request
Requests to schedule BOF sessions must be sent to email@example.com with a copy to the appropriate Area Director(s). Please be sure to include the BOF acronym in the Subject line of the email.
BOFs will NOT be scheduled unless the Area Director(s) approved request is accompanied by the following information:
- BOF's full name and acronym in brackets
- AREA under which Working Group or BOF appears
- Chair(s) Name(s) and e-mail address(es)
- Full Description of BOF
- CONFLICTS you wish to avoid, please be as specific as possible:
- Expected Attendance (figures from the previous IETF meeting are included in the message that is sent when scheduling opens):
- Special requests:
- Number of sessions:
- Length of sessions:
- 1 hour
- 2 hours
- 2 1/2 hours
For more information on scheduling Working Group and BOF sessions, please refer to RFC 2418 (BCP 25), IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures.