How to Request a New Working Group Mailing List at the IETF
This page is only for use to request a Working Group mailing list. Please do not use these instructions to request any other mailing list (for example, for a new discussion topic or to support a BoF). For instructions on how to request a non-WG mailing list, please refer to http://www.ietf.org/list/nonwg.html.
To create a new WG email list at ietf.org:
MAILING LIST REQUEST TEMPLATE
(0) Your (requestor's) full name and email address:
(1) List name (often <WGACRONYM>@ietf.org):
The renaming of mail lists is also prohibited because it breaks the URLs of the list archives at https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/.
(2) Provide a short description of the email list. This description is used when the mailing list is listed with other mailing lists, or in headers, and so forth. It should be as succinct as you can get it, while still identifying what the list is. For example, "Media Gateway Control working group discussion list".
(3) Provide a longer description of the email list (for example, "This list is for discussions relating to the development, clarification, and implementation of the media gateway control protocol defined in
(4) Who are the list Administrators? (usually email addresses of the WG chairs)
(5) Initial list member(s):
(6) Provide a welcome message for initial subscriber(s) (optional):
(7) Provide a welcome message for new subscriber(s) (optional):
(8) What steps are required for subscription?
(9) Messages to this list can be posted by:
(10) Do postings need to be approved by an administrator?
(11) Provide specific information about how to access and move the
To move an existing WG email list to ietf.org:
To close an existing WG email list at ietf.org:
Send an email to an appropriate Area Director, specifying which list should be closed and why, and ask him/her to forward the approved request to firstname.lastname@example.org.