BOFs will NOT be scheduled unless the Area Director(s) approved the BOF. The proponents behind a BOF need to contact a relevant Area Director, preferably well in advance of the BOF approval deadline date. The AD needs to have the full name of the BOF, its acronym, suggested names of chairs, an agenda, full description of the BOF and the information covered in item 4. Please read RFC 5434 for instructions on how to drive a successful BOF effort. The approval depends on, for instance, Internet-Drafts and list discussion on the suggested topic. BOF agenda requests, if approved, will be submitted to the IETF Secretariat by the ADs.
As of March 1993, the IESG adopted the following policy on the scheduling of BOFs during IETF meetings.
- All BOFs wishing to meet during an IETF meeting must have the approval
of the appropriate Area Director. A list of current Area Directors can be found on the IETF Web site.
The Secretariat will NOT schedule or allocate time slots without the
explicit approval of the Area Director. Please send a courtesy copy
of your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask the Area Director to copy
this address on the decision.
NOTE: ALL requests for BOFs must be accompanied by BOF Description and
Agenda, and the relevant Area Directors must be copied. The Secretariat should ONLY schedule complete requests (pending AD approval)
- The purpose of a BOF is to conduct a single, brief discussion or to
ascertain interest and establish goals for a working group. All BOF
organizers are required to submit a brief written report of what transpired during the BOF meeting, together with a roster of attendees, to the IETF Secretariat for inclusion in the proceedings.
- A BOF can only be held once (ONE slot at one IETF meeting).
- Under unusual circumstances an Area Director can allow a BOF to meet for a second time. Typically, though not a requirement, this is to develop a charter to be submitted to the IESG.
- BOFs are not permitted to meet three times.
- Non-IETF groups wishing to participate in IETF meetings may hold a
BOF for single-event discussion, or may pursue creation of normal
IETF working groups for on-going interactions and disussions. The rules governing such BOFs are the same as for all other IETF BOFs and working groups.
- When necessary, working groups will be given priority for meeting space over BOFs.
- Once scheduled, BOFs are handled like working groups with regard to
the meeting and proceedings. We require minutes and an attendee roster
for the proceedings.
- BOF chairs are asked to send a brief announcement of the BOF to the IETF list.
NOTE: NOTHING is automatic, especially obtaining a meeting slot for a
BOF. Creation of a draft charter or description and demonstration of interest does NOT mean a BOF will be held. It is up to the APPROPRIATE Area Director to approve.